Monday, September 20, 2010

D E F


DRIFTWOOD
Johnson City New York has some unique history in their town. There was a man during the depression that wanted the children to enjoy some things that they wouldn't need to spend a lot of money on so, at every park in the city there stands a carousel for anyone who wants to enjoy a ride. We went with our friends to the park specifically to ride the carousel, but upon arriving we were completely enamored with this fiddler who seemed to hold the secret powers to get your feet tapping and your hands clapping! We stomped our feet on the carousel, we clapped our hand going down the slide, we bobbed our heads on the swings, it was infectious. Suddenly, my husband's face appeared in front of mine grasping for air while he asks, "Hey, do you have ten bucks on you?" I promptly pulled out the 10 dollar bill that I had placed in my pocket "just in case" and gave it to him asking, "What is this for?" but he had already disappeared into the crowd. He returned with a CD. The name on the cover, "Driftwood". "That's the group that just got done playing on stage." Jay says. "The one with the fiddle?" I say. "The one with the fiddle." Awesome, we just went another step in acquiring some new music. I highly recommend listening to Walking Into the Sun and Talkin' Walmart, but if you really need to hear that fiddle you will need to listen to "Cigarette Addiction".

EL RANCHITO/GARCIA'S




A great conflict has risen in this nation that has affected all of our futures. But as I consider the implications of what many are saying is the only solution, I am left with a significant dilema. If all the illegal immigrants in Southwest America are actually driven back over the border, what will happen to all the food they make so well?

While we were in Phoenix the headlines were filled with news about the crackdown on illegal immigrants. Everyone was saying that it is only going to get worse, and as I contemplated these events, I could only envision them being chased back across the border as we beg them to toss back their freshly made tortillas while they dive onto Mexican soil.

Many of us have to admit that we thoroughly love their food. The more authentic you can get, the better. We were privileged to experience two places that we felt fit this category. So, if you ever happen to be in Newport Beach, there is a great place in town called El Ranchito. We happened upon their $5 Taco Tuesday Bar which was fabulous and all you can eat. Great taquitos, great guacamole. and great tacos too!

In Phoenix there is a family owned restaurant called Garcia's. It is a great restaurant to take pictures if you are just passing through and love to do that sort of thing. However, one must not believe that just because one orders a Fajita Quesadilla that it will closely resemble the Fajita Quesadilla from the ever so popular (name of casual American dining restaurant here). Garcia's Fajita Quesadilla defiantly blasts the chain restaurant version into the subzero temperatures of the arctic where food is scarce and flavor is of minute concern. If you find yourself in Phoenix needing some down home salsafying satisfaction, it will happen at Garcia's.



FAIRY TALE
After little girls' dreams have come true and their wedding day is over, they look forward to spending romantic evenings and weekends being whisked away by their knights. Any girl turned woman loves being treated like royalty and anytime that royal treatment takes place- a date, a weekend away, returning to your honeymoon suite- it can only be plus points for the guy who is taking the gal. Well, my guy charged himself up in the plus point ranking for our anniversary. Although we had a whirlwind schedule for the summer, he took some time, a little extra money, and pleaded for some help for childcare to make sure we had a night out.
I bought a new dress (and of course, "needed" hehe, new shoes to go along), Jay slipped on a dress jacket...


and we headed out for dinner and a show at Beef and Boards. Fancy dinner and dessert followed by Broadway's Musical "Camelot".


We showed up early for dinner and recognized our lack of salt and pepper hair while we were still in the parking lot. So the questions began. Would we enjoy the show? Did we arrive too early? Are we overdressed? As we continued observing, a little tiny spark of a giggle was born way down deep within me. As we were seated at our table we noticed another couple had already been sat, and naturally we introduced ourselves.

"Hello. I'm J and this is my wife, K."
"Hello. This is my wife Lou and I am Hghgh(garble,garble)"
Is this your first time here?
Yep...
...Are you celebrating something special?
Yep....
...What are you celebrating?
Our anniversary...
...Oh, so how long have you all been married? (while looking at the husband)
Oh you are supposed to ask the wife that question!
Oh? Why is that?
So the husband doesn't get in trouble!
Ok. Good to know. So, how long have you been married, Lou?
27 years.
Wow. That's quite a feat these days. What's the secret to staying married for so long?
Husband leans over and in a fake whisper says, "You forget really quickly"...... (Crickets chirping uncomfortably).....
...So, do you have any kids?
Yep....
...How many?
3....
....Boys?
Nope....
Girls, then.
2 girls and 1 boy.
How old are they?

Are you all catching on here? The giggle that was born in the parking lot was growing rapidly. I was having lovely daydreams about being a dentist and my assistant handing me the pliers, but the tooth just was not going to come. We would have to resort to drastic measures if dinner was going to be very much longer or my giggler was going to be released inappropriately. I was wondering how a couple like that got together in the first place if they are completely unwilling to allow you to know them.

Younger couples did arrive.....later. Dinner was served and the show was great. My giggler? It was appropriately released on the ride home as my husband replayed the evening. It was great exercise for my abs.

4 comments:

Kandelight Photography said...

I don't think it was just because I experienced it that it made me laugh so hard it hurt, but your stories are awesomely hilarious.

darlene said...

KIM!!! This is amazing! Love the new face on the blog. . .LOVE the stories! I wish I could watch your stories on a T.V. series. . .but for now we will enjoy the great read.
Oh, and your guy gets A plus on anniversary date =) You are two of the most precious people on earth - in case you don't know - I love you TONS!! Can't wait for the next chapter of "Loving Five Boys". . .

Rhonda K said...

Kim, I am laughing hysterically and I'm at work. I could see the entire scene unfolding in my mind. And I must agree, you are truly a wonderful story teller indeed!

Wendy said...

Dearest Kim---you are a gifted writer! I enjoy re-living your summer fun through these literary visions! Love to all of you!---Mom