Wednesday, May 21, 2008

New Jewelry

I've never been one to wear a lot of jewelry all of the time.
I wear a little here and there and there are definitely some pieces of jewelry I like a lot more than others.
Some jewelry is stuff I wear everyday, all the time and usually is more meaningful to me.
Other stuff is there to help myself look a little nicer.
That's what new jewelry is supposed to do.
Help you look a little nicer.
Some jewelry is special just because of what it is.
Let's take a nose ring for instance.
When we (my husband & I) were trying to describe to my 5 year old what a nose ring is, we had to use another body part to help him understand that it really is the same thing you put in your ear, its just that it is in your nose.
And it seems that it is easier to want someone else to have a nose ring than it is to actually get one yourself.
Pierced earrings are an expected part of a girls daily wardrobe and attire.
A nose ring says something else, though i'm not quite sure what that something else is........
My husband has wanted me to get this permanent 3rd hole in my nose for several years. It just wasn't something I could commit to or really wanted myself. I'm not really one to make public statements that have the slightest risk of being controversial to anyone with whom I may come into contact.
But suddenly, a mysterious desire came over me. After years of it being my husbands desire, it became mine, why? The element of surprise and shock overcame me as this became the motivation to put a 3rd permanent hole in my nose. Inspired by my husband mixed with some desire to keep things a bit interesting since we are on the home stretch of 10 years of marriage and our 3rd child due any day (just to add to the interest).
So, I am now highly motivated to go and do it. I find a place, go in, sit on the seat, thankful that my friend Lori is with me because suddenly I get butterflies.....i saw the gun.
why does it have to look like a gun? can't they market it some other way to make it more desireable and therefore make more money? isn't everyone motivated by money?
I had also brought my dainty little nose rings with me from the other jewelry store, but they were not acceptable. Not properly sterilized. want to be clean you know.
The choices I now had were incredibly bold statements compared to the subtlely I had chosen earlier. More butterflies. but I was now committed, and it was a risk I was willing to take. So I sat down. Gave the piercer the least of my choice of evils and waited.
The gun was raised to my nose...I held my breath....and he took the gun out.
The gun was raised again to my right nostril to which I held my breath and with a reminder that I need to relax, then takes the gun out, my nose still in the same condition. After the 4th time of putting the gun at my nose I firmly burst out, "What is taking you so long?" "Is there something wrong?" To which I heard no answer but the feeling the gun approaching my nose for a 5th time and firing through the wall of my nostril accompanied with the immediate feeling of lightheadedness and the strong desire to just stay seated for as long as I could.
Immediately after and very likely at the same moment I realized I held the best bargaining chip ever in my entire marriage!!!!!! A little lightheadedness was worth it. By this time, Jay had been surprised by the fact that I was going to get my nose pierced since he usually finds out about surprises before they happen to him...and this was no exception.
So, once I was stabilized from the trauma...I called him. He owes me years, years, years. This act alone is worth years of love toward my husband. Is this the first time in history that a new piece of jewelry that a woman bought was really for her husband and actually benefited her relationship with him as a result of the purchase? How's that for rationalization? I think it's pretty good, actually.
So you are probably wondering if I like it? The answer is yes, I do. I've seen enough of them now that I really do think they look quite nice on a lot of women. I like mine too, though I'm going smaller asap.

6 comments:

Kandelight Photography said...

That was awesome, and you look amazing with your new look. Very funny Blog, and you know I don't say that about everything

darlene said...

When you write it is like hearing
you talk. I just love it. . .this
is so neat. I think it is wonderful that your cute little nose reminds us of your love for
Jay. I think you are lovely. . .

kelly m said...

You're such a good wife. You look great Kimmy! I bet this experience helped make Aiden want to come out! haha! Can't wait to see pictures of him!

blisseast said...

That was surely an experience to be with you during the "ordeal." For those of you who do NOT want your children to get piercings, send them out with someone who is getting it done. It does look so cute on you though.

Kelly - I agree about Aiden's arrival.

Anonymous said...

i've wanted one for a long time, but it's so much more obvious than belly button rings or easily-hidden tattoos...someday though. :) looks awesome, i'm proud of you!!

emillikan said...

This is really cute!
Emily