Thursday, July 3, 2008

Two Words I Hate!!! Part A

The first one is "Nice". First of all it is way overused... that's nice dear, be nice to your friends, it's a nice day, so nice of you to stop by. What does it really mean anyway? There are so many other words you can use that mean what you are really trying to communicate. that's fine dear, be kind to your friends, it's a beautiful day, so great of you to stop by. In the context that I really do not like the word "nice" is in with relationships. I first articulated this opinion to myself while watching a christian children's video in which a song was being sung with purpose of communicating how one should behave in relationships. The title of the song? "Be Nice". I nearly think this word is evil....why? So glad you asked. It communicates that you should never ever disturb anyones feelings. I am sure many would agree with me that there is a time and place when, if you are really expressing love to a person and a confrontation needs to take place then there are a lot of things about that experience, including words, that will not be nice, but will be loving and God honoring. To be nice in our culture is a value that is more important than to be honest, loving and even kind. To be kind is a scriptural mandate, but I haven't seen the word "nice" in my Bible, so if anyone else does....please let me know. And be kind to all those in your life....just don't be "nice" at any cost.

1 comment:

darlene said...

Preach it Kimmy!!!!!!!!!!!!Love it, love you, this was awesome!!!